Tales from outer turnip head...

Tales from outer turnip head...

Sunday, April 9, 2017

The "crown jewel of post-punk"...

Joy Division in 1979 (I was just learning to ride a bike.)
Elegia: So I have been grading all day. The 3rd quarter is over. I have been listening to music all day. Spring is here and the windows were open. I have been listening to music all day, and have been on an emotional ride of sorts while I smell how the warmth is pushing the snows out, and I have been reminiscing in my mind and listening to music that was from an earlier part of my life.

It all started with Warsaw for me back in 1987: So this week's post is is a nod to my day. If you have 17 minutes and 31 seconds, press play below. The band featured is New Order, a band that changed its name on a pact that should any member leave, they would change their identity. Singer Ian Curtis, of Joy Division killed himself when he was 23, sadly launching the already popular band into mythical status, and creating a desire by the remaining band members to transition away from his signature sound. A punk-influenced band reacting to the Sex Pistols and pioneering the way into the post-punk world, Joy Division was a major influence on me when I was in middle and high school (and Still). I have been listening to Joy Division for the last few hours now, and decided to move on to New order, a more electronic and dance oriented band. They did an instrumental that is an elegy for Ian.  It was the soundtrack for my favorite stop animation film, More, by Marc Osborne, and was used in season one of Stranger Things. It has been favorite of mine since I first heard it last century. This is that song:


No comments:

Post a Comment